Book Title: History Of Contra Costa County, California
TOWNSHIP NUMBER THREE.
Geography.—Township Number Three is bounded on the north by the Suisun Bay; on the east by Township Number Four; on the south by Townships Numbers Four and Two; and on the west by Township Number One.
Topography.—The topography of this township, though not as varied as that of the others, yet has its differences from fertile hill slopes to equally fruitful valley lands. The Ygnacio valley has no peer in the wide extent of the State for prolific yields of grain, while the oaks, which spread their wide sheltering branches in all directions, lend a sylvan beauty to the scene, which once seen, is not to be forgotten. Through it the two considerable streams known as the Monte del Diablo and Walnut creeks find their way past the town of Pacheco, a little distance from which, mingling their waters, they pass through the belt of tules which faces the northern face of the township and fall into Suisun Bay.
Soil.—In this township the soil of the valleys and along the foot-hills is alluvial, although their are certain portions composed of adobe, which is the best adapted to wheat growing. A large portion of the township has known no other product since 1853, and though not as prolific as in the earlier years, still the crops are wonderful. A system of rotation, it is thought, would rectify this.
Products.—Wheat holds first rank among the products of this township, although the other cereals are grown to a considerable extent. Stock-raising and dairying, too, have their adherents, while every farm house has its well filled orchard of every manner of fruit and thriving grape vines.
Timber.—Save the umbrageous oaks, mentioned above, and the trees in the romantic canons about the base of Mount Diablo, but little timber finds space in Township Number Three, yet there is sufficient to meet the domestic wants of the population for many decades of years to come.
Climate.—Of the climate of Township Number Three, naught can be said but praise. What applies to the others also applies to this. The year is divided into the dry and wet season, the by no means too warm days of Summer and the cool period of Winter, never too cold, however, to preclude the performance of out-door labors. Wonderful geniality of temperature is the sum of climatic influences here.
Early Settlement.—During the year 1828, the Rancho Monte del Diablo, comprising four leagues of land, was granted to Don Salvio Pacheco, a gentleman who was widely known throughout the Department of California, and held many high offices in the gift of the Mexican Government. At this time he was a resident of the Pueblo de San Jose, and it was not until the year 1834 that he took actual possession and commenced stocking his vast property with cattle, for be it remembered the early Californian was a stock-raiser rather than a farmer. Don Salvio died at his residence near Concord, where now resides his son Fernando.
This gentleman came to the township in 1835, and brought with him some cattle, but only remained on the Rancho during a portion of each year. In 1845 he brought his family to the county and made his permanent home in Contra Costa, in 1851 moving to his present house. In the early days the Pachecos owned fully five thousand head of cattle, while it may be stated, as showing that the Rancheros life was not always one of indolence, that it was usual to shut for the night as many as one thousand calves.
Up until 1852 there was no accession to the foreign population of the township under consideration. In that year we learn that Asa Bowen settled on the place now occupied by Silverio Soto and William C. Prince. He had in this year started the orchard now owned by Prince, the land being jointly owned by him and Frank Lightston, of San Jose. In the same year, Benjamin Shreve had a short residence in Ygnacio Valley, but afterwards moved to Lafayette, where he now lives.
We should have mentioned that in 1850 valuable lime quarries were discovered at the foot of Mount Diablo by Frank Such, who at once commenced the task of developing them, and whence, in company with W. E. Whitney, of Township Number Five, he supplied vast quantities of the lime for mortar first used in San Francisco, the material being shipped from the landing, six miles from the mouth of Mount Diablo creek. Excellent kilns were there erected capable of burning four hundred and fifty barrels at one time, and yielding three thousand barrels per month. This industry is at present in abeyance, and yet the supply is said to be inexhaustible. It is presumable that for this staple, as well as for hides and tallow, came the first sailing craft up to the Embarcadero.
In November, 1852, Randolph H. Wight, for many years one of the Board of Supervisors of Contra Costa county, settled in the New York valley, and resided with his brother until 1857, when he moved to his present residence. On his arrival Mr. Wight says he found the Olmstead and Strode families, the former living in a house erected in 1850—the first in that portion of the township—where now stands “the stone house,” occupied by Joseph Anderson, and the latter on the land now occupied by Daniel Cunningham. In this year the first orchards were planted in the New York valley section of Township Number Three.
Our readers are all familiar with the stretch of territory forming the high land between Mount Diablo and Walnut creeks, now embraced in English and Kapp’s property, comprising some three thousand acres in all, and usually called the Government Ranch. This name, however, is misleading. We are informed, on reliable authority, that the ranch was never the property of the Government, nor was it ever leased by them. It was purchased by two officers of the Quartermasters’ Department of the United States Army, Majors Allen and Loring, in or about 1851, and from the fact of the army mules being pastured there during one year, the public gave the tract the name of the Government Ranch. It was one league of the Pacheco Grant and was sold to Majors Allen and Loring for twelve thousand five hundred dollars. Here the two officers erected several buildings shortly after the time of their purchase, but these have not been used as residences for years; they are now store-houses. They were constructed without nails; the boards were imported from Norway; they came out numbered, each joist and plank fitting into each other. Major Allen never lived on the Ranch. On Loring’s death, however, he acquired that gentleman’s share, and afterwards sold out to Dr. L. C. Frisbie, of Solano county, who disposed of it to Judge S. C. Hastings. One-half of it was bought by G. W. Colby from the Judge, who gave the remaining moiety to his son, C. F. D. Hastings, who sold it to Barry Baldwin, and from him it passed into the hands of the present owners.
We now come to that epoch when every available acre of the township was located on by squatters—not a quarter-section but had been taken possession of by those dispirited men from the mines.
Prominent among those to settle in Ygnacio valley in 1852, is James T. Walker, the nephew of the renowned Captain Joe. Walker. Here he has resided ever since, has built himself a beautiful home, and owns a large estate of hill and valley lands. His house commands one of the most magnificent prospects conceivable, as it takes in the fertile valley, dotted with umbrageous oaks, and mixes in the blue distance with the Suisun Bay and the hills beyond. In the same year Mr. Walker’s companion de voyage of 1847, Frank McClellan, settled on the place where now resides Lawrence Geary, but moved into the town of Pacheco in 1877. The interesting wanderings of these two intrepid pioneers will be found duly recorded in their biographical sketches. Of the others who came in that year (1853), were “Jerry” Morgan, now of Morgan Territory, George Potwin, Penniman, Seymour, Myron Gibson, Robert McPherson, Alonzo Plumley, the Smiths, Ben. Hockabout, Hank, Henry and John Davis, Vandermark. Seymour occupied about that section where W. C. Prince now is; Barnheisel occupied a point near Mr. Major’s farm; Ed. Legrand had a forty-acre tract above the Lohse place, and known afterwards as the Shannon tract; Morgan was located where J. F. S. Smith resides, his cabin being on the hill now occupied by the barn; Myron and John Gibson, Ambrose and James Toomey, occupied a portion of the splendid ranch now owned by Munson Gregory, and as far as Mr. Bray’s residence in Pine canon.
Besides these there were several more, whose names we have not been able to trace. In October, 1853, Dr. E. F. Hough, now of Martinez, located in the Ygnacio valley, entered upon the practice of his profession, and after some obstructiveness on the part of native Californians, established a lasting popularity. He also opened a store and house of entertainment, which he conducted until 1855, when disposing of his interest he removed to the county seat. This was the first store in the township. In this year Mr. Prince bargained with Asa Bowen for his present farm; he found on the place a full crop of sweet potatoes of some fifteen to twenty acres in extent; it was in this year, too, or 1852, that the first crop of wheat was sown. On May 3, 1853, Samuel S. Bacon came to the Government Ranch, and in the Fall built a stable for fourteen mules, for Majors Allen and Loring of the United States Army. Of the names Mr. Bacon remembers, those of Bishop and Van Ryder may be mentioned, who resided on the place now owned by Charles S. Lohse, where they cultivated a small patch of wheat in partnership. At this period there was not the semblance of a town in the county, save at Martinez. F. L. Such was foreman for a San Francisco firm, and had the limekiln mentioned above. It was situated on the right bank of the branch of Mount Diablo creek, where he had established a landing. The creek was then sufficiently large for craft of nearly one hundred tons—to-day it is almost filled up. The lime enterprise was continued until 1862; it then lay dormant for a time, and under the supervision of another firm was resuscitated and pushed until about the year 1870. In the New York valley district there located in 1853, Charles L. Bird, on the land now owned by the Colby estate, C. J. Pramberg, and Messrs. Hilshin and Johnson. Towards the end of the year Mr. Knight settled where Mr. Cunningham now resides. In the Spring of this year Charles N. Wight joined his brother in this section. Here, in 1853, the first land was plowed, and about seven acres sowed in wheat; an excellent crop was the out-turn, but owing to the want of proper threshing facilities, not much good resulted.
The parents of S. P. Davis, of Brentwood, located in the Pacheco valley, near Clayton, October 17, 1853, and with their son resided for many years in that region.
In the Spring of 1854, William C. Prince, who had come to his uncle, Hon. Elam Brown, in 1849, removed from Lafayette to the farm he now occupies, purchased the year before, and has since resided thereon. The transaction took the form of a partial exchange, Bowen receiving the Morgan House and a livery-stable that stood where Judge Brown’s office now is, in Martinez, for the land, or a portion of it. In 1854, including squatters, there were fully twenty-five families settled in the Ygnacio valley, the produce of which was shipped from the embarcadero at Pacheco, to San Francisco, for cultivation had become general and immense crops were raised. In this year there came to the Bay Point district Newton Woodruff, accompanied by his brothers, Asa, Philo and Simeon, the last of whom remained some five or six years. The first school in the township was established in tins year in the Ygnacio valley.
Among the settlers of the township in 1855, were the Hon. C. B. Porter, in Green valley, since when this gentleman has been one of Contra Costa’s most able and prominent citizens. He has served in the Upper and Lower Houses of the State Legislature, while he is well known as the present distinguished editor-proprietor of the Contra, Costa Gazette. In this year, too, Ignacio Soto joined his brothers, who had preceded him to Contra Costa county, on the thousand-acre tract in the Ygnacio valley. Here he resided until his death, which occurred June 15, 1882. In 1856 Thomas Z. Witten settled on his present property, and in the following year, 1857, Munson Gregory acquired, and in 1858 settled on the magnificent ranch he now owns. In 1857 D. R. McPherson settled in the Ygnacio valley, and on December 4th George P. Loucks took up his residence in the township. Mr. Loucks, besides having filled the office of County Clerk, has also held a seat at the Board of Supervisors for Contra Costa county. In 1858 David S. Woodruff settled at Bay Point, and Syranus Standish, of Pacheco; in 1859 J. A. Littlefield >and Theodore Downing became residents of the township; and in 1860 Ludwig Anderson and D. G. Bartnett each located in the town of Pacheco.
The reader will naturally remark that the foregoing gentlemen are not all of those that settled in the township, still, they are the only names that are remembered by the oldest residents now living, and as such must they be accepted. We will now turn to a few remarks upon the histories of the villages in Township Number Three.
PACHECO.—Situated in the midst of a lovely valley, five miles distant from the county seat of Martinez, is the village of Pacheco. In 1860 Messrs. Hale and Fassett, with Dr. Carothers, purchased the site of the place and laid it out in town lots. With a keen perception of the natural advantages of the situation, its proximity to an embarcadero, and its lying on the main line of travel, these enterprising gentlemen at once commenced building. Hale & Fassett erected a store and a large warehouse at the bay side, and in a short time were doing a large and profitable business. Others came in, lots were bought and the place soon had the elements of prosperity.
Long before Pacheco was, however, G. L. Walrath had in 1853 erected the residence now owned and occupied by George P. Loucks. In 1856 that gentleman purchased it from Walrath, and on December 4, 1857, took possession. As far back as 1853 there was a warehouse owned by Lathrop, Fish and Walrath—that now possessed by Bray Brothers of San Francisco; while, in 1857, Mr. Loucks built another of one hundred and fifty feet in length, and in 1858, one hundred and twenty-five feet were added to it. This building stood on the bank of Walnut creek, about one mile east of Pacheco. In the Fall of 1862 it was moved down the creek about three-quarters of a mile, owing to the rapid filling in of the stream. In 1857 W. K. Hendricks acquired land from Mr. Loucks, and on it built the mill. These two enterprises were the primary causes of the starting of Pacheco.
At an early date the creek had its course to the rear of the present store of John Gambs, while the county road ran along the line of the creek as it is now.
The earliest sailing craft to ply to the locality were those trading to the lime-kiln of F. L. Such, mentioned above. Those first to come to Louck’s wharf were the C. E. Long, Capt. Gus. Henderson, and Ida, Capt. Ludwig Anderson.
The land on which the town stands was surveyed by J. B. Abbott, and on it Hale & Fassett built the first house, it being the aforesaid long store now occupied by John Gambs. About the same time Ludwig Anderson erected his residence; while the first brick house was put up by Elijah Hook. The first hotel was opened by Woodford in the present Eagle Hotel, and thus the town had its start. In 1860 J. H. Troy’s fire-proof building was completed.
In the year almost of its birth Pacheco was visited by a devastating fire; let us, however, take these catastrophes in their chronological order. On August 11, 1860, a fire broke out in the village, when the store of Elijah Hook, known as the “Farmers’ Block,” the concrete block of Dr. J. H. Carothers, and several other buildings, were consumed, with a loss of about twenty-six thousand four hundred dollars. Almost seven years later another disastrous conflagration took place. On August 15, 1867, the Pacheco Flour Mills were totally desroyed by fire. This loss was a public as well as a private calamity, it being one of the greatest conveniences in the neighborhood. The loss on the proprietor, W. J. Ireland, was a very severe one, and swept away the earnings of a life of industry, amounting in value to no less than from fourteen to sixteen thousand dollars, upon which there was no insurance; besides about two thousand dollars’ worth of wheat and flour was consumed, the property of various farmers in the vicinity. The next fire we have heard of is the burning of Judge Warmcastle’s farm-house on April 1, 1870, during that gentleman’s absence at the East. The building was rented by Mr. Minaker. The last of all these conflagrations was the most destructive. On the morning of Tuesday, September 5, 1871, the village was once more visited by the “Fiery Fiend,” and damage done to the amount of thirty thousand dollars and more. The principal losers were E. Hook, three buildings and stock, loss eighteen thousand dollars; L. F. Moreno, building harness stock and household goods, loss two thousand five hundred dollars; Bunker & Porter, Contra Costa Gazette, loss two thousand dollars; Odd Fellows’ Hall, two thousand dollars; L. Anderson, loss five hundred dollars J. H. Troy, loss five hundred dollars.
Owing to this fire the issue of the Gazette, of September 9, 1871, was mostly filled with matter of the San Francisco Bulletin’s supplement, kindly placed at the disposal of our friends by the publishers of that periodical; the following week, however, saw the Gazette in full force, with no symptom of its distressing and discouraging interruption.
When Pacheco Fire Engine Company, No. 1, was organized, we have been unable to gather, nor do we know who its first officers were, but that there was such an organization is certain, for we find Don Salvio Pacheco presenting them with a handsome banner, richly trimmed with gold lace, and surmounted with a golden eagle, on February 16, 1861. On September 12, 1863, an I. O. O. F. Lodge was organized in Pacheco, with the following officers: Paul Shirley, N. G.; W. T. Hendrick, V. G.; L. B. Farish, Sec.; John Gambs, Treas.; J. H. Carothers, Warden. We are happy to state that this order has grown apace in the little village, where it has one of the most elegant buildings to be found in all California. We are glad to be able to produce an extended history of it further on.
In June, 1868, Lohse & Bacon erected their new warehouse at Seal Bluff Landing, its dimensions being fifty by one hundred feet.
The great earthquake which occurred at eight o’clock on the morning of October 21, 1868, (who will ever forget it?) did considerable damage in Pacheco among the brick and concrete buildings, though a number of the frame buildings also suffered. The rear wall of Elijah Hook’s two-story brick building was shattered from the top to the level of the upper floor, the upper angles of the front being also badly shaken; the concrete building belonging to Doctor Carothers was badly shattered; the two-story brick building owned and partly occupied by J. H. Troy—the upper story being used as a lodge room by the Odd Fellows—was badly cracked; the front and rear walls of Morgan’s two-story brick and concrete building were entirely broken from the side walls, from top to bottom; while Hook’s concrete warehouse was cracked open in many places, as well as other damage. The Gazette, too, managed to escape, but only by a hair’s breadth.
On May 29, 1869, the Western Union Telegraph Company completed their line to Pacheco en route to Antioch, an office for which was established at the store of Fassett & McCauley, under the supervision of Barry Baldwin. June 19th of this year, Mohawk Tribe, No. 20, I. O. R. M., was instituted at Pacheco, there being present the following Chiefs of the Great Council of the State, viz: Adam Smith, Great Sachem; W. T. Cruikshank, Great Junior Sagamore; C. E. B. Howe. Great Prophet; J. A. Woodson, Great Chief of Records; James Goshn, Great Keeper of Wampum; assisted by several Past Sachems. The Council Fire of the Mohawk Tribe was directed to be kindled on the Sleep of each Third Sun—Tuesday evening of each week. We fear, however, that its ashes have been taken by the winds, never more to know the genial power of heat.
With its wonderful progress, Pacheco must needs have a bank. On December 29, 1870, the certificate of incorporation of the “Contra Costa Savings and Loan Bank” was filed, the following being the Directors: Barry Baldwin, G. M. Bryant, Walter K. Dell, John Gambs, W. M. Hale. The capital stock was laid at fifty thousand dollars; the existence of the corporation limited to fifty years. In this year of Grace, 1882, Pacheco does not possess a bank; Sic transit, etc. But these were the stirring times of the now peaceful village. May 10, 1871, officers were chosen for a newly-organized military company of forty members, the choice being, for Captain, George J. Bennett; First Lieutenant, H. N. Armstrong; Second Lieutenant, William Fassett. On February 6, 1874, the Pacheco Tobacco Company was incorporated, with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars, in twenty shares of five hundred dollars each, for the purpose of leasing or purchasing land, raising, curing and manufacturing tobacco; its principal place of business to be Pacheco, and Directors: W. K. Dell, D. F. Majors, B. Baldwin, S. W. Johnson, R. H. Cornell.
The Pacheco Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was instituted February 5, 1876, with thirty charter members. The first officers were: F. M. Warmcastle, Master; H. Sanford, Overseer; A. Martin, Lecturer; F. Sanford, Steward; A. Carpenter, Assistant Steward; J. H. Cornwall, Chaplain; R. B. Hathaway, Treasurer; M. Hays, Secretary; C. Clark, Gatekeeper; Mrs. A. Boss, Ceres; Miss Kate Sanford, Pomona; Miss Almira Morgan, Flora; Miss D. Downing, Lady Assistant Steward.
These are the principal items we have found to mention in connection with Pacheco. From the first it had one great enemy, and that was its location. Situated as it is on such low-lying grounds, the yearly recurring floods drove the people from its precincts—Doctor Carothers’ canal notwithstanding—until to-day the erst-awhile thriving and lively village is but a relic of its former grandeur.
CHURCHES.—The first church built in Pacheco was the Presbyterian, in 1862; some time later a Roman Catholic church was erected; and finally, at a much later date, a meeting-house of the Congregational body.
SCHOOLS.—In the year 1859 a school-house was constructed, and D. S. Woodruff became the first preceptor. This continued until 1872, when it was deemed advisable to acquire a new school site, adjacent to the Roman Catholic church, and remove the institution thither, where it would be less likely to be flooded than in its former position.
PACHECO LODGE, No. 117, I. O. O. F.—In the latter part of July, 1863, a notice appeared in the Contra Costa Gazette calling for a meeting of all Odd Fellows residing in the county. At that meeting, much to the surprise of the caller, some fifteen or sixteen were present, hailing principally from Eastern and Western Lodges. Of those that can now be remembered, were: Past Grand G. P. Loucks, of Tryon Lodge, No. 247, New York; W. T. Hendrick, of Rhode Island; S. Standish, of Ohio; J. Shafer, A. W. Hammitt, of Iowa; John Baker, of Michigan; Daniel Glass and C. F. Betts (now deceased), of Iowa; Past Grand Paul Shirley, Andrew Inman (now deceased) and Simon Blum, of Solano Lodge, No. 22; J. H. Carothers, of Ohio; L. B. Farish, of Yerba Lodge, No. 5. After consultation, it was believed by those present that a Lodge would be prosperous, if instituted, and agreed that necessary steps should be taken at once to organize the same; in accordance therewith, Past Grand G. P. Loucks, W. T. Hendrick and J. H. Carothers applied to San Francisco Lodge, No. 3, to be admitted as members. Having been duly admitted, Past Grand Paul Shirley, L. B. Farish, Past Grand G. P. Loucks, W. T. Hendrick and J. H. Carothers applied for, and were granted, Withdrawal Cards, by their respective Lodges, and applied for a Charter, to be known as Pacheco Lodge, No. 117, to be located at Pacheco. A Charter having been duly granted, on the evening of the institution, John Gambs, C. F. Betts and S. Blum, presenting Withdrawal Cards from their respective Lodges, were admitted as, and their names added as, Charter Members; and on the twelfth day of September, 1863, M. W. Grand Master, assisted by Past Grand Masters S. H. Parker, W. Allen, J. A. J. Bohen, R. W. Deputy Grand Master J. A. McClelland, R. W. Grand Secretary T. Rodgers Johnson, Past Grands H. C. Squire, H. C. Swain, William Satterlee, of San Francisco Lodges, and Past Grand C. F. Pousland, of Solano Lodge, No. 22, duly instituted Pacheco Lodge, No. 117. Of the instituting officers, all have passed to their eternal homes, excepting one; honored memories of the good work done by them alone are left to us. Past Grand Master and Past Grand Representative J. A. McClelland, ripe in years, and honored by our jurisdiction, is the only survivor.
P. G. Paul Shirley was elected N. G., W. T. Hendrick V. G., L. B. Farish Sect., John Gambs Treas., C. F. Betts O. G., and Past Grand G. P. Loucks as the Sitting Past Grand.
S. Standish made application by card to be admitted as a member; W. M. Hale made application to become a member by initiation; a dispensation was asked for and granted to be admitted the same evening, were duly elected members.
From the date of the institution the Lodge had enjoyed a season of prosperity in membership and pecuniary matters, until the Fall of 1871. In the Winter of 1870-71, the Lodge determined to erect a hall of its own, up to this time occupying a hall in the brick building known as Frog’s, the same being entirely inadequate for the comforts of its growing membership. A site was obtained west of and adjoining the lot and brick store of E. Hook. A fine two-story hall was erected, at a cost of about five thousand dollars, it being the intention to dedicate the hall to F. L. & T., on the anniversary of the institution of the Lodge before its occupancy; before that time arrived our hopes were in a few hours laid at our feet in a mass of cinders and ashes, a fire occurring on the morning of September 3, 1871, destroying a considerable portion of the town.
At a meeting of the Lodge, on the 6th, steps were taken to at once rebuild; the present location was obtained; its capital, three thousand dollars insurance; with about one hundred members as its financial basis, it was determined to erect a larger and more suitable hall, which was erected and furnished at an expense of about eight thousand five hundred dollars, without asking or receiving any aid, except through its own members. The present hall was dedicated on the anniversary of our beloved order April 26,1872, by Past Grand Master J. A. McClelland, assisted by Past Grand Representative Nathan Porter, (now deceased); Past Grand Paul Shirley, as Grand Marshal; Past Grand Henry Shuey, as Grand Chaplain; Past Grand R. G. Davis, as Grand Herald of the East; Past Grand W. T. Hendrick, as Grand Herald of the North; Past Grand John Gambs, as Grand Herald of the South; Past Grand Geo. P. Loucks, as Grand Herald of the West; and Past Grand H. A. Rowley, as Grand Trumpeter.
By reason of overflows and filling of location, during the Fall of 1880, the hall was raised above its original foundation six feet, at an additional expense of between five and six hundred dollars. At this writing it has a cash reserve, besides its beautiful hall and fittings. In membership its average has varied but little from one hundred. After its first few years’ existence, the following brothers have passed the Noble Grand chair, in the order named: Paul Shirley, L. B. Farish, William Girvan, E. Hook, J. H. Carothers, W. A. Smith, M. Barthel, W. T. Hendrick, A. Thurber, J. Gambs, S. H. Whitmore, R. G. Davis, S. Standish, S. Ashley, W. M. Hale, G. M. Bryant, G. D. Danskin, H. A. Rowley, G. R. Oliver, E. W. Hiller, S. W. Johnson, William Cavan, C. H. Martin, J. Leffler, J. A. Littlefield, J. E. Martin, D. B. Gibbs, T. W. Huckstep, F. L. Loucks, C. Woodford, A. W. Hammitt, J. Prince; of which J. H. Carothers, L. B. Farish, E. Hook, (W. Girvan, to become a charter member of San Joaquin Lodge, No. 151,) W. A. Smith, R. G. Davis, D. G. Danskin, G. R. Oliver and W. M. Hale withdrew by card, and mainly were members of sister Lodges; S. Standish ceased membership; C. H. Martin was expelled. From organization to this writing, two hundred and thirty-one members have been admitted; of which twenty-four are deceased; forty-five withdrawn; expelled, eight; suspended for non-payment of dues, fifty-four; the latter class may be reinstated on compliance with by-laws and vote of the Lodge.
PACHECO FLOUR MILLS.—This mill, the first and only one in Contra Costa county, was built in the year 1857, by W. T. Hendrick, who afterwards disposed of it to W. J. Ireland. On August 15, 1867, the building and its contents were destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt and placed in full operation. Mr. Ireland dying, the business was purchased from his widow, October 10, 1881, by the present proprietors, Messrs. Wagner & Russi. The structure is four stories in height, built of wood, possesses three run of stones—two for flour and one for feed; and is supplied with the best machinery, run by an engine of forty-five horse-power. The capacity is from thirty-five to forty barrels per twelve hours. It is largely patronized by the farmers in the neighborhood.
L. ANDERSON’S LUMBER YARD.—This industry was established by Capt. Ludwig Anderson in 1860, his yard being stocked with lumber from all the well-known timber districts of the State. He has on hand about a million feet of every available class of the commodity, and has branch establishments in Martinez and elsewhere, with a prosperous trade in the immediate vicinity.
EXCELSIOR SODA WORKS.—This is but a new industry to Pacheco, it having been established on March 1, 1882. Here the proprietors, M. Bonzagni & Co., manufacture all kinds of aerated waters, for which a large and ready sale is found in the surrounding districts.
CONCORD.—In the year 1869, owing to the continued yearly-recurring flooding of the town of Pacheco, whereby the inhabitants were put to great expense for raising buildings, etc., Fernando Pacheco and Francisco Galindo, to whom belonged the land, offered to lay out a town, some two miles east from Pacheco, and give to those willing to transfer themselves to the new town a certain number of lots free of charge. The plot was surveyed by Lewis Castro, laid off into lots and streets, and contained twenty acres divided into nineteen blocks and a plaza.
Among the first to take advantage of this new scheme was Samuel S. Bacon. He had suffered from the floods in Pacheco, where he had a store, he therefore came over to the new town, and in June, 1869, had completed his present store, and in July his dwelling-house. About the same time Charles S. Lohse put a machine-shop opposite Bacon’s store, while John Brawand and George Gavin, too, erected dwelling-houses. That Summer (1869) what is now Kline’s Hotel was built by Henry Loring; besides which there sprang up two or three saloons, a livery-stable, and the other addenda that go to make up a town.
In the naming of the new town there was much variety of disposition. To begin with, the Spanish population and donors of the land wanted it to be named Todos Santos (All Saints), by which name it is recorded; the Americans had dubbed it “Drunken Indian” with that genius that the early pioneers displayed for the science of nomenclature; but, it was left for the Contra Costa Gazette to give it the name of Concord, by which it is now known, habitually if not officially.
Concord is a thriving town, possessing two excellent hotels and many places of business. In 1870 a school was started in its precincts, and first taught by Mrs. Henry Polley, nee Annie Carpenter. In 1873 a handsome Roman Catholic church was commenced, and was duly dedicated November 5, 1876. In the town stands the Plaza, a park-like inclosure, well shaded and laid out with walks, which was completed in 1876. All in all, Concord is a pretty and prosperous place.
Cowell Historical Society