MCR1852

MCR1852

(Picture: #57) McCloud, CA, 11/2002. The McCloud River owned several of these ancient side-dump hoppers, used primarily in maintenance-of-way service. The hoppers were built in 1927 for the Bay Point & Clayton Railroad, an 8-mile long shortline closely tied to the cement industry in the California Bay Area. The Bay Point & Clayton operated from 1907 until abandonment in 1946. It is likely that the McCloud purchased the cars about that time. The cars saw sporadic use on the McCloud, especially in repairing washouts after the 1986 and 1996 floods. Two of the cars remain on the property today, although they have recently been replaced with two more modern side dump cars.