Smokestack-00Walnut Country --  The Crossings

When the Cowell Plant shut down, residents of the town were allowed  to rent houses in Cowell between 1950-1959. In 1959, The Company sold  the land to Newhall Land and Farming Company, who then sold it to the  Larwin Company in 1969. Construction on Walnut Country began in 1972.  The community has 1062 homes, a clubhouse, tennis courts, swimming  pools, and a massive greenbelt.

 

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

Walnut Way Brochure

 

firehouse_then_and_nowThe smokestack is not the only reminder of the town of Cowell. The old  firehouse still stands, and is used for storage. It faces Prairie Willow Court, beside the West Pool of the Crossings.

When the old (Cowell) company houses were torn down, the Fire building remained. It was taken over by a Dentist for his practice. The newbys that were moving in were not too happy about the office and they wanted the building for everything except the Dentist. He eventually gave in but subsequently built the round office building on Cowell Rd. Without the current landscaping, the place was an eyesore and was purposely meant to antagonize the residents. — from Claycord

Firehouse

Firehouse

Firehouse side view

Firehouse with West Pool

Walnut Country-The Crossings

logo_cowell

Cowell Historical Society

Website_Design_NetObjects_Fusion