Book Title: History Of Contra Costa County, California
TOWNSHIP NUMBER THREE.
Geography.—Township Number Three is bounded on the north by the Suisun Bay;
on the east by Township Number Four; on the south by Townships Numbers Four and
Two; and on the west by Township Number One.
Topography.—The topography of this township, though not as varied as that of
the others, yet has its differences from fertile hill slopes to equally fruitful
valley lands. The Ygnacio valley has no peer in the wide extent of the State for
prolific yields of grain, while the oaks, which spread their wide sheltering
branches in all directions, lend a sylvan beauty to the scene, which once seen,
is not to be forgotten. Through it the two considerable streams known as the
Monte del Diablo and Walnut creeks find their way past the town of Pacheco, a
little distance from which, mingling their waters, they pass through the belt of
tules which faces the northern face of the township and fall into Suisun Bay.
Soil.—In this township the soil of the valleys and along the foot-hills is
alluvial, although their are certain portions composed of adobe, which is the
best adapted to wheat growing. A large portion of the township has known no
other product since 1853, and though not as prolific as in the earlier years,
still the crops are wonderful. A system of rotation, it is thought, would
Products.—Wheat holds first rank among the products of this township,
although the other cereals are grown to a considerable extent. Stock-raising and
dairying, too, have their adherents, while every farm house has its well filled
orchard of every manner of fruit and thriving grape vines.
Timber.—Save the umbrageous oaks, mentioned above, and the trees in the
romantic canons about the base of Mount Diablo, but little timber finds space in
Township Number Three, yet there is sufficient to meet the domestic wants of the
population for many decades of years to come.
Climate.—Of the climate of Township Number Three, naught can be said but
praise. What applies to the others also applies to this. The year is divided
into the dry and wet season, the by no means too warm days of Summer and the
cool period of Winter, never too cold, however, to preclude the performance of
out-door labors. Wonderful geniality of temperature is the sum of climatic
Early Settlement.—During the year 1828, the Rancho Monte del Diablo,
comprising four leagues of land, was granted to Don Salvio Pacheco, a gentleman
who was widely known throughout the Department of California, and held many high
offices in the gift of the Mexican Government. At this time he was a resident of
the Pueblo de San Jose, and it was not until the year 1834 that he took actual
possession and commenced stocking his vast property with cattle, for be it
remembered the early Californian was a stock-raiser rather than a farmer. Don
Salvio died at his residence near Concord, where now resides his son Fernando.
This gentleman came to the township in 1835, and brought with him some cattle,
but only remained on the Rancho during a portion of each year. In 1845 he
brought his family to the county and made his permanent home in Contra Costa, in
1851 moving to his present house. In the early days the Pachecos owned fully
five thousand head of cattle, while it may be stated, as showing that the
Rancheros life was not always one of indolence, that it was usual to shut for
the night as many as one thousand calves.
Up until 1852 there was no accession to the foreign population of the township
under consideration. In that year we learn that Asa Bowen settled on the place
now occupied by Silverio Soto and William C. Prince. He had in this year started
the orchard now owned by Prince, the land being jointly owned by him and Frank
Lightston, of San Jose. In the same year, Benjamin Shreve had a short residence
in Ygnacio valle3r, but afterwards moved to Lafayette, where he now lives.
We should have mentioned that in 1850 valuable lime quarries were discovered
at the foot of Mount Diablo by Frank Such, who at once commenced the task of
developing them, and whence, in company with W. E. Whitney, of Township Number
Five, he supplied vast quantities of the lime for mortar first used in San
Francisco, the material being shipped from the landing, six miles from the mouth
of Mount Diablo creek. Excellent kilns were there erected capable of burning
four hundred and fifty barrels at one time, and yielding three thousand barrels
per month. This industry is at present in abeyance, and yet the supply is said
to be inexhaustible. It is presumable that for this staple, as well as for hides
and tallow, came the first sailing craft up to the Embarcadero.
In November, 1852, Randolph H. Wight, for many years one of the Board of
Supervisors of Contra Costa county, settled in the New York valley, and resided
with his brother until 1857, when he moved to his present residence. On his
arrival Mr. Wight says he found the Olmstead and Strode families, the former
living in a house erected in 1850—the first in that portion of the
township—where now stands "the stone house," occupied by Joseph Anderson, and
the latter on the land now occupied by Daniel Cunningham. In this year the first
orchards were planted in the New York valley section of Township Number Three.
Our readers are all familiar with the stretch of territory forming the high
land between Mount Diablo and Walnut creeks, now embraced in English and Kapp's
property, comprising some three thousand acres in all, and usually called the
Government Ranch. This name, however, is misleading. We are informed, on
reliable authority, that the ranch was never the property of the Government, nor
was it ever leased by them. It was purchased by two officers of the
Quartermasters' Department of the United States Army, Majors Allen and Loring,
in or about 1851, and from the fact of the army mules being pastured there
during one year, the public gave the tract the name of the Government Ranch. It
was one league of the Pacheco Grant and was sold to Majors Allen and Loring for
twelve thousand five hundred dollars. Here the two officers erected several
buildings shortly after the time of their purchase, but these have not been used
as residences for years; they are now store-houses. They were constructed
without nails; the boards were imported from Norway; they came out numbered,
each joist and plank fitting into each other. Major Allen never lived on the
Ranch. On Loring's death, however, he acquired that gentleman's share, and
afterwards sold out to Dr. L. C. Frisbie, of Solano county, who disposed of it
to Judge S. C. Hastings. One-half of it was bought by G. W. Colby from the
Judge, who gave the remaining moiety to his son, C. F. D. Hastings, who sold it
to Barry Baldwin, and from him it passed into the hands of the present owners.
We now come to that epoch when every available acre of the township was
located on by squatters—not a quarter-section but had been taken possession of
by those dispirited men from the mines.
Prominent among those to settle in Ygnacio valley in 1852, is James T.
Walker, the nephew of the renowned Captain Joe. Walker. Here he has resided ever
since, has built himself a beautiful home, and owns a large estate of hill and
valley lands. His house commands one of the most magnificent prospects
conceivable, as it takes in the fertile valley, dotted with umbrageous oaks, and
mixes in the blue distance with the Suisun Bay and the hills beyond. In the same
year Mr. Walker's companion de voyage of 1847, Frank McClellan, settled on the
place where now resides Lawrence Geary, but moved into the town of Pacheco in
1877. The interesting wanderings of these two intrepid pioneers will be found
duly recorded in their biographical sketches. Of the others who came in that
year (1853), were "Jerry" Morgan, now of Morgan Territory, George Potwin,
Penniman, Seymour, Myron Gibson, Robert McPherson, Alonzo Plumley, the Smiths,
Ben. Hockabout, Hank, Henry and John Davis, Vandermark. Seymour occupied about
that section where W. C. Prince now is; Barnheisel occupied a point near Mr.
Major's farm; Ed. Legrand had a forty-acre tract above the Lohse place, and
known afterwards as the Shannon tract; Morgan was located where J. F. S. Smith
resides, his cabin being on the hill now occupied by the barn; Myron and John
Gibson, Ambrose and James Toomey, occupied a portion of the splendid ranch now
owned by Munson Gregory, and as far as Mr. Bray's residence in Pine canon.
Besides these there were several more, whose names we have not been able to
trace. In October, 1853, Dr. E. F. Hough, now of Martinez, located in the
Ygnacio valley, entered upon the practice of his profession, and after some
obstructiveness on the part of native Californians, established a lasting
popularity. He also opened a store and house of entertainment, which he
conducted until 1855, when disposing of his interest he removed to the county
seat. This was the first store in the township. In this year Mr. Prince
bargained with Asa Bowen for his present farm; he found on the place a full crop
of sweet potatoes of some fifteen to twenty acres in extent; it was in this
year, too, or 1852, that the first crop of wheat was sown. On May 3, 1853,
Samuel S. Bacon came to the Government Ranch, and in the Fall built a stable for
fourteen mules, for Majors Allen and Loring of the United States Army. Of the
names Mr. Bacon remembers, those of Bishop and Van Ryder may be mentioned, who
resided on the place now owned by Charles S. Lohse, where they cultivated a
small patch of wheat in partnership. At this period there was not the semblance
of a town in the county, save at Martinez. F. L. Such was foreman for a San
Francisco firm, and had the limekiln mentioned above. It was situated on the
right bank of the branch of Mount Diablo creek, where he had established a
landing. The creek was then sufficiently large for craft of nearly one hundred
tons—to-day it is almost filled up. The lime enterprise was continued until
1862; it then lay dormant for a time, and under the supervision of another firm
was resuscitated and pushed until about the year 1870. In the New York valley
district there located in 1853, Charles L. Bird, on the land now owned by the
Colby estate, C. J. Pramberg, and Messrs. Hilshin and Johnson. Towards the end
of the year Mr. Knight settled where Mr. Cunningham now resides. In the Spring
of this year Charles N. Wight joined his brother in this section. Here, in 1853,
the first land was plowed, and about seven acres sowed in wheat; an excellent
crop was the out-turn, but owing to the want of proper threshing facilities, not
much good resulted.
The parents of S. P. Davis, of Brentwood, located in the Pacheco valley, near
Clayton, October 17, 1853, and with their son resided for many years in that
In the Spring of 1854, William C. Prince, who had come to his uncle, Hon. Elam
Brown, in 1849, removed from Lafayette to the farm he now occupies, purchased
the year before, and has since resided thereon. The transaction took the form of
a partial exchange, Bowen receiving the Morgan House and a livery-stable that
stood where Judge Brown's office now is, in Martinez, for the land, or a portion
of it. In 1854, including squatters, there were fully twenty-five families
settled in the Ygnacio valley, the produce of which was shipped from the
embarcadero at Pacheco, to San Francisco, for cultivation had become general and
immense crops were raised. In this year there came to the Bay Point district
Newton Woodruff, accompanied by his brothers, Asa, Philo and Simeon, the last of
whom remained some five or six years. The first school in the township was
established in tins year in the Ygnacio valley.
Among the settlers of the township in 1855, were the Hon. C. B. Porter, in
Green valley, since when this gentleman has been one of Contra Costa's most able
and prominent citizens. He has served in the Upper and Lower Houses of the State
Legislature, while he is well known as the present distinguished
editor-proprietor of the Contra, Costa Gazette. In this year, too, Ignacio Soto
joined his brothers, who had preceded him to Contra Costa county, on the
thousand-acre tract in the Ygnacio valley. Here he resided until his death,
which occurred June 15, 1882. In 1856 Thomas Z. Witten settled on his present
property, and in the following year, 1857, Munson Gregory acquired, and in 1858
settled on the magnificent ranch he now owns. In 1857 D. R. McPherson settled in
the Ygnacio valley, and on December 4th George P. Loucks took up his residence
in the township. Mr. Loucks, besides having filled the office of County Clerk,
has also held a seat at the Board of Supervisors for Contra Costa county. In
1858 David S. Woodruff settled at Bay Point, and Syranus Standish, of Pacheco;
in 1859 J. A. Littlefield >and Theodore Downing became residents of the
township; and in 1860 Ludwig Anderson and D. G. Bartnett each located in the
town of Pacheco.
The reader will naturally remark that the foregoing gentlemen are not all of
those that settled in the township, still, they are the only names that are
remembered by the oldest residents now living, and as such must they be
accepted. We will now turn to a few remarks upon the histories of the villages
in Township Number Three.
PACHECO.—Situated in the midst of a lovely valley, five miles distant from
the county seat of Martinez, is the village of Pacheco. In 1860 Messrs. Hale and
Fassett, with Dr. Carothers, purchased the site of the place and laid it out in
town lots. With a keen perception of the natural advantages of the situation,
its proximity to an embarcadero, and its lying on the main line of travel, these
enterprising gentlemen at once commenced building. Hale & Fassett erected a
store and a large warehouse at the bay side, and in a short time were doing a
large and profitable business. Others came in, lots were bought and the place
soon had the elements of prosperity.
Long before Pacheco was, however, G. L. Walrath had in 1853 erected the
residence now owned and occupied by George P. Loucks. In 1856 that gentleman
purchased it from Walrath, and on December 4, 1857, took possession. As far back
as 1853 there was a warehouse owned by Lathrop, Fish and Walrath—that now
possessed by Bray Brothers of San Francisco; while, in 1857, Mr. Loucks built
another of one hundred and fifty feet in length, and in 1858, one hundred and
twenty-five feet were added to it. This building stood on the bank of Walnut
creek, about one mile east of Pacheco. In the Fall of 1862 it was moved down the
creek about three-quarters of a mile, owing to the rapid filling in of the
stream. In 1857 W. K. Hendricks acquired land from Mr. Loucks, and on it built
the mill. These two enterprises were the primary causes of the starting of Pacheco.
At an early date the creek had its course to the rear of the present store of
John Gambs, while the county road ran along the line of the creek as it is now.
The earliest sailing craft to ply to the locality were those trading to the
lime-kiln of F. L. Such, mentioned above. Those first to come to Louck's wharf
were the C. E. Long, Capt. Gus. Henderson, and Ida, Capt. Ludwig Anderson.
The land on which the town stands was surveyed by J. B. Abbott, and on it
Hale & Fassett built the first house, it being the aforesaid long store now
occupied by John Gambs. About the same time Ludwig Anderson erected his
residence; while the first brick house was put up by Elijah Hook. The first
hotel was opened by Woodford in the present Eagle Hotel, and thus the town had
its start. In 1860 J. H. Troy's fire-proof building was completed.
In the year almost of its birth Pacheco was visited by a devastating fire;
let us, however, take these catastrophes in their chronological order. On August
11, 1860, a fire broke out in the village, when the store of Elijah Hook, known
as the "Farmers' Block," the concrete block of Dr. J. H. Carothers, and several
other buildings, were consumed, with a loss of about twenty-six thousand four
hundred dollars. Almost seven years later another disastrous conflagration took
place. On August 15, 1867, the Pacheco Flour Mills were totally desroyed by
fire. This loss was a public as well as a private calamity, it being one of the
greatest conveniences in the neighborhood. The loss on the proprietor, W. J.
Ireland, was a very severe one, and swept away the earnings of a life of
industry, amounting in value to no less than from fourteen to sixteen thousand
dollars, upon which there was no insurance; besides about two thousand dollars'
worth of wheat and flour was consumed, the property of various farmers in the
vicinity. The next fire we have heard of is the burning of Judge Warmcastle's
farm-house on April 1, 1870, during that gentleman's absence at the East. The
building was rented by Mr. Minaker. The last of all these conflagrations was the
most destructive. On the morning of Tuesday, September 5, 1871, the village was
once more visited by the "Fiery Fiend," and damage done to the amount of thirty
thousand dollars and more. The principal losers were E. Hook, three buildings
and stock, loss eighteen thousand dollars; L. F. Moreno, building harness stock
and household goods, loss two thousand five hundred dollars; Bunker & Porter,
Contra Costa Gazette, loss two thousand dollars; Odd Fellows' Hall, two thousand
dollars; L. Anderson, loss five hundred dollars J. H. Troy, loss five hundred
Owing to this fire the issue of the Gazette, of September 9, 1871, was mostly
filled with matter of the San Francisco Bulletin's supplement, kindly placed at
the disposal of our friends by the publishers of that periodical; the following
week, however, saw the Gazette in full force, with no symptom of its distressing
and discouraging interruption.
When Pacheco Fire Engine Company, No. 1, was organized, we have been unable
to gather, nor do we know who its first officers were, but that there was such
an organization is certain, for we find Don Salvio Pacheco presenting them with
a handsome banner, richly trimmed with gold lace, and surmounted with a golden
eagle, on February 16, 1861. On September 12, 1863, an I. O. O. F. Lodge was
organized in Pacheco, with the following officers: Paul Shirley, N. G.; W. T.
Hendrick, V. G.; L. B. Farish, Sec.; John Gambs, Treas.; J. H. Carothers,
Warden. We are happy to state that this order has grown apace in the little
village, where it has one of the most elegant buildings to be found in all
California. We are glad to be able to produce an extended history of it further on.
In June, 1868, Lohse & Bacon erected their new warehouse at Seal Bluff
Landing, its dimensions being fifty by one hundred feet.
The great earthquake which occurred at eight o'clock on the morning of
October 21, 1868, (who will ever forget it?) did considerable damage in Pacheco
among the brick and concrete buildings, though a number of the frame buildings
also suffered. The rear wall of Elijah Hook's two-story brick building was
shattered from the top to the level of the upper floor, the upper angles of the
front being also badly shaken; the concrete building belonging to Doctor
Carothers was badly shattered; the two-story brick building owned and partly
occupied by J. H. Troy—the upper story being used as a lodge room by the Odd
Fellows—was badly cracked; the front and rear walls of Morgan's two-story brick
and concrete building were entirely broken from the side walls, from top to
bottom; while Hook's concrete warehouse was cracked open in many places, as well
as other damage. The Gazette, too, managed to escape, but only by a hair's breadth.
On May 29, 1869, the Western Union Telegraph Company completed their line to
Pacheco en route to Antioch, an office for which was established at the store of
Fassett & McCauley, under the supervision of Barry Baldwin. June 19th of this
year, Mohawk Tribe, No. 20, I. O. R. M., was instituted at Pacheco, there being
present the following Chiefs of the Great Council of the State, viz: Adam Smith,
Great Sachem; W. T. Cruikshank, Great Junior Sagamore; C. E. B. Howe. Great
Prophet; J. A. Woodson, Great Chief of Records; James Goshn, Great Keeper of
Wampum; assisted by several Past Sachems. The Council Fire of the Mohawk Tribe
was directed to be kindled on the Sleep of each Third Sun—Tuesday evening of
each week. We fear, however, that its ashes have been taken by the winds, never
more to know the genial power of heat.
With its wonderful progress, Pacheco must needs have a bank. On December 29,
1870, the certificate of incorporation of the "Contra Costa Savings and Loan
Bank" was filed, the following being the Directors: Barry Baldwin, G. M. Bryant,
Walter K. Dell, John Gambs, W. M. Hale. The capital stock was laid at fifty
thousand dollars; the existence of the corporation limited to fifty years. In
this year of Grace, 1882, Pacheco does not possess a bank; Sic transit, etc. But
these were the stirring times of the now peaceful village. May 10, 1871,
officers were chosen for a newly-organized military company of forty members,
the choice being, for Captain, George J. Bennett; First Lieutenant, H. N.
Armstrong; Second Lieutenant, William Fassett. On February 6, 1874, the Pacheco
Tobacco Company was incorporated, with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars,
in twenty shares of five hundred dollars each, for the purpose of leasing or
purchasing land, raising, curing and manufacturing tobacco; its principal place
of business to be Pacheco, and Directors: W. K. Dell, D. F. Majors, B. Baldwin,
S. W. Johnson, R. H. Cornell.
The Pacheco Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was instituted February 5,
1876, with thirty charter members. The first officers were: F. M. Warmcastle,
Master; H. Sanford, Overseer; A. Martin, Lecturer; F. Sanford, Steward; A.
Carpenter, Assistant Steward; J. H. Cornwall, Chaplain; R. B. Hathaway,
Treasurer; M. Hays, Secretary; C. Clark, Gatekeeper; Mrs. A. Boss, Ceres; Miss
Kate Sanford, Pomona; Miss Almira Morgan, Flora; Miss D. Downing, Lady Assistant
These are the principal items we have found to mention in connection with
Pacheco. From the first it had one great enemy, and that was its location.
Situated as it is on such low-lying grounds, the yearly recurring floods drove
the people from its precincts—Doctor Carothers' canal notwithstanding—until
to-day the erst-awhile thriving and lively village is but a relic of its former
CHURCHES.—The first church built in Pacheco was the Presbyterian, in 1862;
some time later a Roman Catholic church was erected; and finally, at a much
later date, a meeting-house of the Congregational body.
SCHOOLS.—In the year 1859 a school-house was constructed, and D. S. Woodruff
became the first preceptor. This continued until 1872, when it was deemed
advisable to acquire a new school site, adjacent to the Roman Catholic church,
and remove the institution thither, where it would be less likely to be flooded
than in its former position.
PACHECO LODGE, No. 117, I. O. O. F.—In the latter part of July, 1863, a
notice appeared in the Contra Costa Gazette calling for a meeting of all Odd
Fellows residing in the county. At that meeting, much to the surprise of the
caller, some fifteen or sixteen were present, hailing principally from Eastern
and Western Lodges. Of those that can now be remembered, were: Past Grand G. P.
Loucks, of Tryon Lodge, No. 247, New York; W. T. Hendrick, of Rhode Island; S.
Standish, of Ohio; J. Shafer, A. W. Hammitt, of Iowa; John Baker, of Michigan;
Daniel Glass and C. F. Betts (now deceased), of Iowa; Past Grand Paul Shirley,
Andrew Inman (now deceased) and Simon Blum, of Solano Lodge, No. 22; J. H.
Carothers, of Ohio; L. B. Farish, of Yerba Lodge, No. 5. After consultation, it
was believed by those present that a Lodge would be prosperous, if instituted,
and agreed that necessary steps should be taken at once to organize the same; in
accordance therewith, Past Grand G. P. Loucks, W. T. Hendrick and J. H.
Carothers applied to San Francisco Lodge, No. 3, to be admitted as members.
Having been duly admitted, Past Grand Paul Shirley, L. B. Farish, Past Grand G.
P. Loucks, W. T. Hendrick and J. H. Carothers applied for, and were granted,
Withdrawal Cards, by their respective Lodges, and applied for a Charter, to be
known as Pacheco Lodge, No. 117, to be located at Pacheco. A Charter having been
duly granted, on the evening of the institution, John Gambs, C. F. Betts and S.
Blum, presenting Withdrawal Cards from their respective Lodges, were admitted
as, and their names added as, Charter Members; and on the twelfth day of
September, 1863, M. W. Grand Master, assisted by Past Grand Masters S. H.
Parker, W. Allen, J. A. J. Bohen, R. W. Deputy Grand Master J. A. McClelland, R.
W. Grand Secretary T. Rodgers Johnson, Past Grands H. C. Squire, H. C. Swain,
William Satterlee, of San Francisco Lodges, and Past Grand C. F. Pousland, of
Solano Lodge, No. 22, duly instituted Pacheco Lodge, No. 117. Of the instituting
officers, all have passed to their eternal homes, excepting one; honored
memories of the good work done by them alone are left to us. Past Grand Master
and Past Grand Representative J. A. McClelland, ripe in years, and honored by
our jurisdiction, is the only survivor.
P. G. Paul Shirley was elected N. G., W. T. Hendrick V. G., L. B. Farish
Sect., John Gambs Treas., C. F. Betts O. G., and Past Grand G. P. Loucks as the
Sitting Past Grand.
S. Standish made application by card to be admitted as a member; W. M. Hale
made application to become a member by initiation; a dispensation was asked for
and granted to be admitted the same evening, were duly elected members.
From the date of the institution the Lodge had enjoyed a season of prosperity
in membership and pecuniary matters, until the Fall of 1871. In the Winter of
1870-71, the Lodge determined to erect a hall of its own, up to this time
occupying a hall in the brick building known as Frog's, the same being entirely
inadequate for the comforts of its growing membership. A site was obtained west
of and adjoining the lot and brick store of E. Hook. A fine two-story hall was
erected, at a cost of about five thousand dollars, it being the intention to
dedicate the hall to F. L. & T., on the anniversary of the institution of the
Lodge before its occupancy; before that time arrived our hopes were in a few
hours laid at our feet in a mass of cinders and ashes, a fire occurring on the
morning of September 3, 1871, destroying a considerable portion of the town.
At a meeting of the Lodge, on the 6th, steps were taken to at once rebuild;
the present location was obtained; its capital, three thousand dollars
insurance; with about one hundred members as its financial basis, it was
determined to erect a larger and more suitable hall, which was erected and
furnished at an expense of about eight thousand five hundred dollars, without
asking or receiving any aid, except through its own members. The present hall
was dedicated on the anniversary of our beloved order April 26,1872, by Past
Grand Master J. A. McClelland, assisted by Past Grand Representative Nathan
Porter, (now deceased); Past Grand Paul Shirley, as Grand Marshal; Past Grand
Henry Shuey, as Grand Chaplain; Past Grand R. G. Davis, as Grand Herald of the
East; Past Grand W. T. Hendrick, as Grand Herald of the North; Past Grand John
Gambs, as Grand Herald of the South; Past Grand Geo. P. Loucks, as Grand Herald
of the West; and Past Grand H. A. Rowley, as Grand Trumpeter.
By reason of overflows and filling of location, during the Fall of 1880, the
hall was raised above its original foundation six feet, at an additional expense
of between five and six hundred dollars. At this writing it has a cash reserve,
besides its beautiful hall and fittings. In membership its average has varied
but little from one hundred. After its first few years' existence, the following
brothers have passed the Noble Grand chair, in the order named: Paul Shirley, L.
B. Farish, William Girvan, E. Hook, J. H. Carothers, W. A. Smith, M. Barthel, W.
T. Hendrick, A. Thurber, J. Gambs, S. H. Whitmore, R. G. Davis, S. Standish, S.
Ashley, W. M. Hale, G. M. Bryant, G. D. Danskin, H. A. Rowley, G. R. Oliver, E.
W. Hiller, S. W. Johnson, William Cavan, C. H. Martin, J. Leffler, J. A.
Littlefield, J. E. Martin, D. B. Gibbs, T. W. Huckstep, F. L. Loucks, C.
Woodford, A. W. Hammitt, J. Prince; of which J. H. Carothers, L. B. Farish, E.
Hook, (W. Girvan, to become a charter member of San Joaquin Lodge, No. 151,) W.
A. Smith, R. G. Davis, D. G. Danskin, G. R. Oliver and W. M. Hale withdrew by
card, and mainly were members of sister Lodges; S. Standish ceased membership;
C. H. Martin was expelled. From organization to this writing, two hundred and
thirty-one members have been admitted; of which twenty-four are deceased;
forty-five withdrawn; expelled, eight; suspended for non-payment of dues,
fifty-four; the latter class may be reinstated on compliance with by-laws and
vote of the Lodge.
PACHECO FLOUR MILLS.—This mill, the first and only one in Contra Costa
county, was built in the year 1857, by W. T. Hendrick, who afterwards disposed
of it to W. J. Ireland. On August 15, 1867, the building and its contents were
destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt and placed in full operation. Mr. Ireland
dying, the business was purchased from his widow, October 10, 1881, by the
present proprietors, Messrs. Wagner & Russi. The structure is four stories in
height, built of wood, possesses three run of stones—two for flour and one for
feed; and is supplied with the best machinery, run by an engine of forty-five
horse-power. The capacity is from thirty-five to forty barrels per twelve hours.
It is largely patronized by the farmers in the neighborhood.
L. ANDERSON'S LUMBER YARD.—This industry was established by Capt. Ludwig
Anderson in 1860, his yard being stocked with lumber from all the well-known
timber districts of the State. He has on hand about a million feet of every
available class of the commodity, and has branch establishments in Martinez and
elsewhere, with a prosperous trade in the immediate vicinity.
EXCELSIOR SODA WORKS.—This is but a new industry to Pacheco, it having been
established on March 1, 1882. Here the proprietors, M. Bonzagni & Co.,
manufacture all kinds of aerated waters, for which a large and ready sale is
found in the surrounding districts.
CONCORD.—In the year 1869, owing to the continued yearly-recurring flooding
of the town of Pacheco, whereby the inhabitants were put to great expense for
raising buildings, etc., Fernando Pacheco and Francisco Galindo, to whom
belonged the land, offered to lay out a town, some two miles east from Pacheco,
and give to those willing to transfer themselves to the new town a certain
number of lots free of charge. The plot was surveyed by Lewis Castro, laid off
into lots and streets, and contained twenty acres divided into nineteen blocks
and a plaza.
Among the first to take advantage of this new scheme was Samuel S. Bacon. He
had suffered from the floods in Pacheco, where he had a store, he therefore came
over to the new town, and in June, 1869, had completed his present store, and in
July his dwelling-house. About the same time Charles S. Lohse put a machine-shop
opposite Bacon's store, while John Brawand and George Gavin, too, erected
dwelling-houses. That Summer (1869) what is now Kline's Hotel was built by Henry
Loring; besides which there sprang up two or three saloons, a livery-stable, and
the other addenda that go to make up a town.
In the naming of the new town there was much variety of disposition. To begin
with, the Spanish population and donors of the land wanted it to be named Todos
Santos (All Saints), by which name it is recorded; the Americans had dubbed it
"Drunken Indian" with that genius that the early pioneers displayed for the
science of nomenclature; but, it was left for the Contra Costa Gazette to give
it the name of Concord, by which it is now known, habitually if not officially.
Concord is a thriving town, possessing two excellent hotels and many places
of business. In 1870 a school was started in its precincts, and first taught by
Mrs. Henry Polley, nee Annie Carpenter. In 1873 a handsome Roman Catholic church
was commenced, and was duly dedicated November 5, 1876. In the town stands the
Plaza, a park-like inclosure, well shaded and laid out with walks, which was
completed in 1876. All in all, Concord is a pretty and prosperous place.